Sunday, May 20, 2007

Long Weekend

Well, the long weekend has finally arrived. Victoria Day here in Canada is tomorrow, and the U.S. will be observing Memorial Day in a weeks time. Although summer has not technically begun, it certainly feels like the first long weekend of the summer, and so for some it means a trip north to open the cottage. For most however, it is simply a time to relax with family and friends, have a BBQ, and possibly do some gardening. A small few in Canada will still take a moment to reflect upon the reign of Queen Victoria.

I will be pulling out some of those nasty weeds in my garden that I referred to last week. I also hope to plant a few things, possibly including an outstanding specimen of Arisaema sikokianum that was given to me as a gift from a friend a few weeks ago. Apparently it needs a spot in the shade garden with excellent drainage. I hope to return the favour with a Arisaema kishidai 'Jack Frost'.

It's also a traditional weekend to plant some of those frost-tender vegetables, primarily tomatoes, which I will probably attempt. Otherwise, after some work in the garden, it's probably time for a trip with the kids to "see the peacock" at the NPC's Botanical Gardens. One of my favourite specimens there is a beautiful Hosta montana 'Aureomarginata':















Also, a simply breathtaking Gentiana acaulis in their little alpine garden:















Enjoy.

MPD

No comments: